The Siren’s Front Cover Design v2

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Hello again and welcome to the final version of the cover I did to pitch for a staff job.
They liked the first one but wanted something more specific and by doing so I decided I could either curl up in a ball and freak out over the time I had wasted or I could face the challenge head on and do more with the cover than I had before. Generally I had been lazy and when you have a process that worked for years, namely the layouts and development of any given piece, you should stick to it. It is a tried and tested method and has worked for me in a number of projects. This time I took the concept they gave me, did some rough layouts for the placement of the characters and checked back with them about it.
An hours work wasted if they didn’t like them.
However it gave them a better chance to give me input as to what they did or didn’t like about the layout and I was able to move forward. With this in mind I took the final layout and created a 3D model of the alleyway, giving me perspective I could use.
Also I had reference from photo’s to work from, giving me a better idea of the way the light of the street would work and took this to the final pencils.
Once there you can go onto the final inks but in this case I completely screwed up on two of the faces and re-inked them using photoshop. Once the “hamster cheeks” were fixed I had a problem now with the lighting and colouring. Each stage had already taken a day to do and I needed to get on with the paid work. Luckily they understood and allowed me to develop the colours further.
This time I tried a colouring technique I thought would work better on this piece and created an adjustment layer set to hue/saturation to create a mask, which I then painted onto revealing the warm sun.
A number of my friends suggested that I put the right hand guys in the light too but I considered it and thought that since they are the bad guys, they should be in the dark side of the panel, in the shadows so to speak.
I hope you like it and think it was worth the 3 days work.
Advertisements

The Siren’s Front Cover Design

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

During my short time as a freelancer I came across a job for a staff artist, with a short brief covering a series of characters in a specific setting. However, in order to get the job you had to do all the process, pencils, inks and colours to show you could do it. This was the result of that pitch.

Captain Clevedon Page 9

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Captain Clevedon Page 9

Captain Clevedon Page 9

This is one of my favourite pages, the perspective and the composition pull you into the image in a more dramatic way. Giving us the desired effect. When putting a dramatic page together it is best to pull the vanishing point higher so that you are viewing the image from a low angle and gives the impression of drama, movement.

Andy Dodd

Captain Clevedon P8

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

"Captain Clevedon Page 8"

Captain Clevedon Page 8

CAPTAIN CLEVEDON!!!

Yep! you heard it here first, well nearly first, I reckon pretty close to the first if that lass from 32 has mentioned it and you decided to tell all your mates, which might not be that many, about Captain Clevedon coming to the newstands…sort of. It’s one of those Kev F Sutherland thingies and I told him I could help with a page or two. Despite having loads of work on at the moment I managed to cram it in. So here it is page 8, the stages I sent to Kev F for him to see that I was working on the thing and not to worry about it missing the deadline. He did the lettering himself so I will see it at the Thought Bubble comic convention in Leeds soon this year…

Andy Dodd

Dr Phibes, Page 18

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

This is the last one of the Dr Phibes examples I am going to show you, mainly because I don’t want to give the game away. But for the colouring I discovered that by selecting all of the black, creating a new layer and then hitting the mask button of the layers palette, I found I could paint the mask out of the scene, leaving just the line colours. In this case it made it easy to replace the green colours if the writer didn’t like it. I have since used this method on the Carter’s column that regular appears on the speech balloon website.

AD

Dr Phibes, Page 13

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I know you don’t want me to give the game away but this week I am going to show you another example of lighting a dark scene. I picked this one in particular because there is quite a big learning curve with it. At the time I was making too many fussy choices and when I did that I had changes to make that really messed up the day. You would find yourself burning the midnight oil just catching up, stressing out and sleeping funny hours. These days a good 6 hours is a lot easier to achive and still maintain a regular schedule outside and in the business environment. The lighting in this one changes quite a lot and I found it intersting getting to grips what would work and what wouldn’t.

AD

Dr Phibes, Page 7

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

This week I developed the idea of using the “soft Light” layer but put way too much detail in some of the others, you know how it goes, you put loads of work into something and the powers that be want that one changed…so off I went and changed a few things. This time I had all the colours laid out and still missed something. A good organised method of working will impose itself on you, whether you like it or not.

AD